Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Wintery Walks throught Montreal

This is an excerpt from my personal blog: throughthesepages.wordpress.com but I thought it was appropriate to the Sauvé Program. Enjoy.

The New Year snuck up quickly, with a whirlwind tour of southern Ontario with family and friends filling the holiday season. On the penultimate day of the year, a group of friends from Waterloo jumped in cars and drove through the snow to celebrate the end of 2011 in the Sauvé House in Montreal. It was a fabulous reunion of friends who are now spread literally around the world. Following that, I found myself in Ottawa at the Engineers Without Borders Conference engaging with passionate folks who are working hard to create meaningful change in livelihoods in Africa. My first weeks of January were full of people, activities and stimulation. So much so that I hardly realized that winter had finally arrived in Montreal, the days were short and the climate ranging from -30C and snowy, to 1C with slushy rain. Neither being overly pleasant.

As the adrenaline ran out, I found myself more contemplative, tired and prone to stay in the warm and dryness of my home.

So, as part of my personal wellness goals, I've begun walking, skiing and skating on the mountain (Mont Royal) in my backyard. It has been great to create a meditative space where I can figure out some of the decisions I need to make in the coming year; great for my vitamin D intake and even a bit of cardio. But most of all, it is a beautiful walk which I thoroughly enjoy and each wandering presents something a little different. Below are a few pictures from my adventures on Mont Royal.

Enjoy,

Josh

Snow covered benches line the trails up the mountain
A beautiful sapling weighted down with snow and ice.
On a sunny day people fill the slopes by Beaver Lake to slide around.
Frozen Roses frame the Plateau and east side of Montreal
My dear cousin Matt joins me for this icy walk. Climbing up the stairs is done by pulling ourselves along the railing.
The melting ice on the trees and the rising sun created a winter fairy land.
More ice, trees and sun.
The rising clouds and the ice were truly magnificent.
The ice had coated every part of the trees.
This pine was looking regal with its halo of light and snow tipped shoulders.

0 comments:

Post a Comment